ROLAND FANTOM-G

MIDI Master keyboardy, syntezátory, digitální piána, varhany... a příslušenství
Odpovědět
EXCOM

ARX / FAQ

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 18 dub 2008 00:49

What are the chances we'll be able to see more than 512MB of RAM?
Not verbatim: "We're not ruling anything out, and if it's possible, we'll find a way, but as of today, 512MB is the official max memory. But remember, that's 512MB per project. The file management itself makes the memory largely a non-issue for the majority of users."

Quoting Dumb and Dumber: "So... you're telling me there's a chance!"

Are the ARX cards modeling or sample playback or what?
Still not sure about it, but the impression I've been given is that the ARX 01 board uses similar technology as the V-Drums brain, as both allow realtime manipulation of shell-depth, head size, etc. I'm thinking it may actually be some sort of complex wavetabling, but this is still up in the air.

Might a future ARX board include analog modeling, FM synthesis, or LA synthesis?
Right now, probably not. But the Japanese engineers are "very clever, so one shouldn't rule anything out."

Will there be a V-Synth ARX board?
No.

Are the ARX boards multitimbral?
ARX 01 and 02 aren't, at least now. As the ARX DSP chip is "quite powerful", future cards may have multitimbral capability.

What's the polyphony of the ARX boards?
Was told that polyphony "almost" doesn't apply, at least in the traditional sense. It's dependent on a lot of factors, from what type of drum is used to whether or not settings are adjusted in real time. At the NAMM show, I noticed a DSP graph while playing, and it didn't seem related to how many notes I played at all. In fact, while holding down an EP chord, the DSP usage graph would fluctuate, almost like it's cycling through various sustain samples. And what's even weirder, when playing a ton of notes at once, the graph didn't jump wildly or even seem to increase.

So basically, I have no new information on this one, only more personal speculation. Were I to guess, I'd say each ARX board can play enough notes to satisfy any performance. Remember, ARX 01 and 02 boards are mono-timbral, so polyphony most likely won't be an issue.

Do the ARX boards utilize the DSP of the Fantom-G at all?
Other than any user-added MFX, no. It was stressed that ARX is radically different from SRX technology. All the DSP is on the board itself.

How much faster is loading/saving/importing on the G compared to the X?
Verbatim: "Much faster." Like twice as fast? Not verbatim: "I haven't timed it personally, but yeah, definitely faster than twice as fast."

Is the sequencer closer to the MV-8x00's?
No. The sequencer is like the Fantom X's on crack. You don't select a track and choose a destination for the track; you choose the part, then choose the track, and hit record. Data is still channelized within the track, so yes, you can record an entire Live Set to one track and that track will play back all 8 internal parts (and any external parts). In fact, there are 34 collective channels available per track, as the ARX and external channels are separate, even in the piano roll and event list. So for those of you who've called the Fantom X a 16-channel x 16-track sequencer, the Fantom-G is a 34-channel x 128 track sequencer. Damn.

The MV's sequencer is closer to Logic or Cubase, where any MIDI signal received (regardless of channel) is automatically routed to the currently selected track's destination part (and therefore, the equivalent to Remote Keyboard Switch turned on by default). The Fantom-G still receives multichannel data and plays the appropriate parts accordingly, regardless of current track selected. Was told that the Fantom-G is first and foremost a "performance board", and that the sequencer is designed with that in mind.

Will there be a way to record more than one track at once?
No. The Fantom-G records one mono or stereo track simultaneously.

I understand that all samples and audio tracks have to load into RAM, but can the Fantom-G bounce directly to internal storage or the USB key?
No, but if the end result is to get your song into the computer, note that, unlike the Fantom X, you can record your song directly to GarageBand or Audacity (heh) via USB. There's no longer any reason to bounce internally unless the computer's in another room.

EXCOM

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 26 dub 2008 21:46

zopar prezentacnych videii

PLAY - Studio Work
PLAY - Live Performance

EXCOM

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 30 dub 2008 20:12

tak a je doma dalsi kus :D
moje prve pocity a dotyky na tento kusok su WOOW! mal som moznost si na chvilku chytit aj G8 a je to parada... G7 ma fantasticku klaviaturu, po dlhom case mozem povedat ze je to fakt jedna z najlepsich polovyvazenych mechanik, pocitovo je to uplne iny feeling ako ma trebars XS ktora je tiez velmi kvalitna ale pocit je uplne iny
nastroj je velmi krasny na pohlad a velmi kvalitne spracovany.. je fakt vidiet ze designery rolandu dbali na kazdy detail a mozu si zagratulovat.. je to fakt designersky klenot medzi novymi klavesmi.

moznost pracovat s mysou je na nezaplatenie, velky display detto.. vyborne moznosti narutovat dalsie MIDI zariadenia pre ktore je vyhradena jedna sekcia.. cize ak mate rack syntakov tak mozete na kazdy zo 16 midi channels namapovat nastroj, plus mu priradit ktoru cast klaviatury bude pouzivat( Layer edit ).. interne ma G seria svojich 16 midi channels kde sa mapuju interne patche..

pohram sa s tym viacej a napisem sem zopar slov o tomto klenote poslednych rokov :) toto len tak na euforicky uvod.. ;)

pamatna fotka po vybaleni tohoto krasavca v predajni ON BOARD 8)
Obrázek
Naposledy upravil(a) EXCOM dne 24 kvě 2008 20:58, celkem upraveno 1 x.

EXCOM

ON BOARD

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 30 dub 2008 21:43

este by som chcel podakovat Hubertovi a ON BOARDu za promptne vybavenie mojej objednavky 8)

KAYKO

Příspěvek od KAYKO » 01 kvě 2008 00:55

EXCOM, perfish, gratulujem, ale mohol si ho u Huberta aspon par hodin nechat, nech poskusame:-)

btw. ostavas este chvilu pri Rolande, alebo zacinas pozvolne zbierat aj Korg, Kurzweil, Acces..... :)

Prosim Ta, najviac ma bude zaujimat Tvoje porovnanie s Motifom XS, tak hod sem dojmy.

EXCOM

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 01 kvě 2008 10:07

KAYKO : no ja som odchadzal dost neskoro okolo takej 17:30 mam pocit, skoda ze si sa nestavil, aj hirli prisiel...

moc zbierat uz asi nebudem, letmi pohlad na Fantom-G ma natolko zaskocil moznostami, ze neviem ci je nieco treba... ale je to fakt relativne, lebo tento pocit som mal pri XS, ale vcera som rychlo vytriezvel ked som sa hral s FG.. ja si myslim ze Fantom-G a XS sa porovnavat nedaju, je to totiz uplne ina kategoria.. Fantom-G si myslim ze je uz nieco ako OASYS... takze si myslilm ak niekto bude silou mocou zrovnavat XS a G tak je to porovnavanie hrusiek a jahod...

ale potrebujem sa s tym este dost pohrat, lebo je tam toho fakt moc vela.. a je to fakt taky Keyboard DAW... nemozem si pomoct...

Vey

Příspěvek od Vey » 01 kvě 2008 10:22

Tak jeste M3 a workstationy budou doma ;)

EXCOM

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 01 kvě 2008 13:24

takto vyzeraju krasavci pohromade :
Obrázek

Dalsie postrehy
  • po miernom testovani zistujem ze system je brutalne rychly
  • nahravanie je jedna basen, obavam sa ze nieco ako cubase, sonar atd.. "nikdy" nevyuzijem, lebo sequencer je na tak vysokej urovni, ze je ho hriech obchadzat
  • vyborny layer menezment rozlozenia zvukov po klavesnici
  • editacia v tomto nastroji je na velmi vysokej ergonomickej urovni, clovek nema pocit "klaustrofobie" z maleho display a vsetko vidi co robi
  • zvukovo je tento nastroj na velmi vysokej urovni, hlavne akusticke nastroje zneju velmi verne( brass, strings )
  • vyroba zvuku je komplet vizualizovana, to co sa vam pacilo na Blofelde ze je vidiet krasne priebeh zvuku pri editaci, tu je to dotiahnute do dokonalosti
no dost bolo superlativ :) na prvotne dotyky som nadseny z tejto masiny, je to fakt kral medzi workstationmi !

Amorph
Moderátor

Příspěvek od Amorph » 01 kvě 2008 13:27

No vypadaj moc pekne. Tak jeste pridat fotku do Mene je vice.

Ondrash

Příspěvek od Ondrash » 02 kvě 2008 10:50

EXCOM píše:takto vyzeraju krasavci pohromade :
Obrázek

Dalsie postrehy
  • po miernom testovani zistujem ze system je brutalne rychly
  • nahravanie je jedna basen, obavam sa ze nieco ako cubase, sonar atd.. "nikdy" nevyuzijem, lebo sequencer je na tak vysokej urovni, ze je ho hriech obchadzat
  • vyborny layer menezment rozlozenia zvukov po klavesnici
  • editacia v tomto nastroji je na velmi vysokej ergonomickej urovni, clovek nema pocit "klaustrofobie" z maleho display a vsetko vidi co robi
  • zvukovo je tento nastroj na velmi vysokej urovni, hlavne akusticke nastroje zneju velmi verne( brass, strings )
  • vyroba zvuku je komplet vizualizovana, to co sa vam pacilo na Blofelde ze je vidiet krasne priebeh zvuku pri editaci, tu je to dotiahnute do dokonalosti
no dost bolo superlativ :) na prvotne dotyky som nadseny z tejto masiny, je to fakt kral medzi workstationmi !
Ahoj. Opravdu pěkná výbavička. :wink:
Že bych si někdy udělal cestu na Slovensko? To je dobře, že jsi s tím Rolandem spokojenej. A co zbytek studia? Budou nějaké fotky?

EXCOM

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 02 kvě 2008 10:53

Ondrash : ale urcite ano, len to chcem uz uplne dokopat, este koberec budem davat, nejake piramidky aby som to aspon trosku utlmil.. a potom hodim aj foto :) zatial to este neni moc na fotku, vyzeralo by to ako bezna izba...

EXCOM

Review

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 02 kvě 2008 22:41

hrozne teraz ulietavam na tejto masine, je to ako spoznat prvy krat sex 8)
tak sem davam zopar kecov znamych ludi ktory sa vyjadrili na margo tohoto elegana ...
Obrázek
PLAY - Dream Lead
Obrázek
Jordan Rudess
One of the things that gives synthesizers expression is the ability to bend pitch with a controller. On Roland’s new Fantom keyboard, there is a level of player control that far exceeds any existing synthesizer that I have worked with. It opens up new avenues of expression.

When I perform on a keyboard I need to be able to cycle through many layered and split patches. Roland has reached a new musical height with their Live Mode. No matter how complex a Live Mode patch and its effects happen to be, I’m now able to seamlessly change from one big layered or split patch to the next, without any interruption in the sound. This is the first keyboard instrument to make this dream of mine come true.

There are really some amazing effects inside this instrument. One day while listening to John Petrucci fine tune his distorted guitar sound I was experimenting with the new Fantom and realized that with the modeled amplifier effects I could easily achieve incredible rocking organ and guitar tones that used to either not be possible on other equipment, or take multiple processors to make happen.

Perhaps the most important thing to me in a workstation keyboard is having tons of great sounds in the onboard ROM. The new Fantom really delivers the goods here. It has a fantastic and expansive collection of waveforms at its core, that truly represents the next level of keyboard workstation.

Obrázek
Paul Mirkovich
The Fantom-G8 Keys feel like I’m playing a real piano, and the key-action has great "spring-back". No matter how much I dig into it, it comes right back. This keyboard feels good.

The screen is huge – and the different modes are clearly laid out. The visual interface shows everything that’s going on – all right in your face – and that makes the job easier. I know where things are mapped, I know what sounds are there, I know what the levels are. Its pretty much all there.

The new Live Mode is great, and now that each patch in Live Mode has it’s own COSM effects, patches used sound exactly the same as they do in single mode. You don’t have to sacrifice effects when using a combination of patches in Live Mode. It sounds amazing!

The seamless switching with this much DSP is incredible. I can hit a pad layer and sustain, go to my next sound without any of the tails getting cut off, and be immediately ready for the next song. I can be more seamless between songs, making things more interesting and expressive during a show.

Obrázek
Rick Wakeman
Technology has been racing away and everyone has forgotten what the instruments are really for. When I used the Fantom-X Series for the first time on a recent tour of Canada, I was impressed with how suitable they were for live performance.
Having such a large screen on the Fantom-G Series will significantly improve their suitability for live performance. Small screens are a nightmare as you are forever changing screens to see what you did previously. Large screens are also much easier to see out of the corner of your eye when playing several keyboards on stage and need to quickly check your settings.

I love the new faders. Unlike knobs, you get a much clearer indication of what sound you are going to get. There are a lot of younger players who want to do a bit more than press a preset and I am pleased that this has been incorporated not just for studio use but also for stage. This is not a makeover of the previous model.

This is a giant step forward.

Obrázek
Valdez Brantley
The Fantom-G is so dynamic it leaves you in awe! It is relentless precision! The Fantom-G puts the heart back in music. The Fantom-G is the ideal tool for me. Everything I need is all here. This thing is amazing. Finally…an instrument that handles everything I need. It’s great to have one instrument that does it all. I start and end with the Fantom-G. It does not matter if I’m in the studio or playing to sell-out crowds, my hands are always on the Roland Fantom-G. I’ve played everything in my career…and the Fantom-G is the most expressive and powerful synth in history….by far.

Obrázek
Shiny Toy Guns
The Fantom-G does most everything you want to do. You don’t need a laptop, you don’t need a recording interface, or plug-ins. This is a computer and recording system inside a keyboard, but with less confusion. It’s everything, and simple.

My system is starting to look like Paul Shaffer’s, but now with the Fantom-G, I won’t need as much equipment on the road – and less gear means less things can go wrong. I can sample my other keyboards, and do more effects routing inside the Fantom-G rather than using racks of gear.
Naposledy upravil(a) EXCOM dne 02 kvě 2008 22:45, celkem upraveno 2 x.

EXCOM

ARX-01

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 02 kvě 2008 22:43

a este tu mame obrazky a video z prezentacie z ARX-01 boardu DRUMS

PLAY ViDEO ARX-01 DRUMS

Obrázek
Obrázek
Obrázek

Poshook

Příspěvek od Poshook » 02 kvě 2008 23:55

imho Jordan Rudess z Dream Theatru mi pride ako slusna devka, robi taketo promotion aj pre firmu Korg a MOTU. pomaly mam pocit, ze ma doma rovnaky setup ako Excom

EXCOM

Příspěvek od EXCOM » 03 kvě 2008 00:05

Poshook : :) love su love 8) ... nastastie ja pre nikoho promotion robit nemusim... 8)
inak tu som nasiel celkom prijemne demo ukazky na SRX boardy
SRX PATCH DEMO

ked tak nad tym rozmyslam tak by mohli spravit ARX board ako je ten complet orchestra v SRX, to by bolo dost fajn od Rolandu ...

Odpovědět